Our faces are drooping.Our spirits are low. We are leaving
Atlantic City with less than we came with. When we arrived our hopes were high and our dreams soared. We planned to take a Limo home and shop in one of those very expensive shops. We were convinced one of us would win.  The chorus of cha-chings and drumming of the dice enticed us to come in. My mind danced to the beat of my heart as we entered the slot machine filled room. We practically ran to the elevators so we could get up to our room, drop off our luggage, and get back down to where the action was. We were dressed and ready to go in ten-minutes flat. Once back into the adult playground everything became a sign. I spotted a penny on the floor next to a vacant slot machine. I just knew that had to be the lucky machine. A number sprung to mind and moments later I saw it flashing on the board above the roulette table. That was my cue to get over there. I was not going to mess around with fate. I was being beckoned, I was sure I would win. The calling was there but luck took up and ran off the moment I answered the call. First, I slid my twenty in the money vacuum attached to the machine. Trying to trick the machine I took turns pulling the handle then hitting the maximum bet button. My money was dwindling. Still I stayed optimistic for two more spins. My inner voice reprimanded me as I dug into my purse for another twenty. Surprisingly I listened to it and walked away. Okay, well I walked away from the slot machine but ventured over to the roulette table. Numbers popped like bingo balls in my head. I had sixteen chips and the table consisted of thirty six numbers. I almost had a fifty-fifty shot to win. I placed a chip on the double zeroes just in case the house won. The ball rolled around the glass wall, hopped a few numbers and teased with a few more. Finally it came to a stop on one of the numbers I didn’t play. My inner voice was at it again-You have to win that money back, it scolds.  Six hours 
 later I was broke.

                                                         *** Morning arrives; it’s finally time to check-out. We are ready to go.  We are disgusted, tired and mad at ourselves for even coming. We drag our luggage to the elevators and wait for the lonely trip down. We wait and wait and wait, until the elevator door slowly opens. We inch our way forward then instantly stop. The moving cage is completely filled. A man in a wheel-chair smiles sympathetically at us. The door closes and we wait again. Three grey-haired fragile looking women walk up behind us. I tell them “It’s going to be a while.”  I turn back around and continue to wait. “Let’s just take the stairs, it’s only twenty flights,” I overhear one of the woman say. She’s nuts, I think. The bell rings, the red light flashes, once again the door slowly opens. It is the same elevator that came beforehand. Now it’s going up instead of back down. The man in the wheel-chair smiles, chuckles could be heard from the other occupants. Our anger turns to giddiness. The grey haired ladies walk away.  God bless them, you know we will definitely make it down before them. The rattling of the elevator prompts us to jump up from the luggage we have been sitting on. Again, the door opens slowly and what we observe will never be forgotten. The man in  the wheel-chair is still front in center, but his face is now blocked by the body of a woman who decided to go in but not turn around. Instead of seeing the grin of the man in the wheel-chair, we were mooned by a faceless woman. The door shut. At this point the stairs were looking like the way to go. As we were walking away another bell rang. On a whim I turned around and was pleasantly surprised to see a vacant elevator. We ran inside and burst out laughing. The end of our trip was absurd but it certainly lifted our spirits. The doors opened into the lobby, as we were about to step out, the three grey haired ladies whizzed past us.